Thursday, February 21, 2008

Colorado!

Last weekend my boyfriend and I went to Boulder, Colorado for his birthday. We also wanted to scout the area and see if it would be a place we'd ever want to live. We got there Friday night, late, and took a super expensive cab ride from Denver to Boulder. We later found out that the cabbie should have given us the flat $75 rate instead of charging us by the meter. Oh well, live and learn. Another lesson we learned that night was that Colorado stops selling alcohol in the stores after midnight, and apparently you can't buy it at all in stores on Sundays. Weird!

Saturday was spent walking up and down the city, looking at stuff and trying to get our bearings. We had a yummy brunch at the motel restaurant, which offers 99 cent mimosas and bloody marys. Delicious! We found the main downtown area which was littered with wonderful looking coffee shops, restaurants, and shops. We went into the first two used bookstores we could find, but then had to stop when we spotted a bunch more. I picked up a slightly written on first edition of Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator for only $10! Later that night, we met up with Creath's college friend who works at a game company in a Boulder suburb. He's a really nice guy and we got pizza, which was fantastic! His friend also works at a club on the weekends. We found out that the club was right across the street from our motel, so we hung out there for the night and Creath celebrated his birthday properly.

The next morning we had to get up early. Boulder is Mountain Time, so 6:30am was really 5:30 am for us. We took a bus to a nearby ski resort called Eldora in Nederland. It was snowing, so the bus had to drive through a whiteout to get us to the place. I'd never snowboarded before so I signed up for the beginner's lesson, which took all day. I could only get through an hour of it, though, because I couldn't breathe! I was seeing little spots of light and thought I'd pass out. Turns out Creath had the same problem. A difference in altitude of 11,000 feet means a lot more when you're trying to exert yourself. So, no snowboarding for me. Eh.

That night we went out to sushi with my cousins. It was really nice getting to see them again because it had been a couple of years.

On Monday we had to check out at 11 am but our flight wasn't until 8:20 pm. We ended up taking the bus from Boulder to the airport in Denver, then renting a car and driving around downtown Denver for a bit. I'd never live in that city. It was very industrial. The downtown area was weird because it was metropolitan like big cities are, but without the huge amount of people.

All in all, it was a good trip and I wouldn't mind living in Boulder. I'm glad we went.

2 comments:

lisa said...

yeah, liquor stores are closed on sundays in dc as well. but the bars & grocery stores are open.

it's all about learning how to beat the system

Danielle said...

Glad to hear the trip went well... sounds like it was a fun weekend. I'm still bitter my school didn't give me that holiday! Oh well...