Saturday, July 18, 2009

An Update

Here's an update on what I've been doing lately. I flew home for Memorial Day weekend, which rocked. I got to see my grandpa, go to the Koroneburg Renaissance Festival, and have a barbecue with some friends. Nevermind the fact that I was late getting home and had to spend the night in a motel in San Francisco on my way over due to airline incompetence.

In early June I went for a week to Rare Book School, which is based at the University of Virginia. Here's a link to the class I took: http://www.rarebookschool.org/courses/general/g20/ I really want to go back. It was so much fun learning about rare books, and the campus was beautiful. I also got to room with my old co-worker from UCI, Cyndi, who I miss a lot. Additionally, the campus was lousy with FIREFLIES. These were my first real encounters with these mystical bugs.

In recent news, I've quit my part time contractor job at the pharmaceutical company and will begin working as a movie theater manager a week from Monday. I'm kind of nervous because the hours will be extremely long: 48-60 hours a week, spread over 5 days, no overtime. I'll also have to work on holidays, and may have to be at work until 3am sometimes. I'm doing it so I can pay my bills. I've gotten ridiculously in debt since moving to Massachusetts, and I haven't even been paying rent. My savings are entirely exhausted, and my credit card bill keeps growing. I fully intend to keep searching for a librarian position, so hopefully this will be a temporary sidebar to my career.

2 comments:

lisa said...

*fingers crossed for MIT* ;)

SeanEO said...

I was going to ask:

"What in the Man Jesus' name did you do to that poor little amazing bug???"

...but then I remembered that entomology is in my blood, passed to me by my father's line, and the blood is the life, so I must understand. But mythical creatures must live on, like the cousin of the unicorn, the narwhal.

You're movie theater position makes me want to go to your theater and reflect on movie-related job times, but I also feel your pain if you decide you hate the job and want to stab the projector (or better yet, the projectionist and thereby in a spray of blood tinting the current Disney film with a border of crimson red) and dosing the popcorn with lysergic acid diethylamide.

Let our reign of power begin anew during the lunar eclipse of 2010.