Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Post, Finally!

I haven't posted here in a very long time, but a lot has happened since then. Most notably, my bf got a job in Massachusetts so we moved here at the beginning of September. The "economic crisis" has made finding a job particularly tough, but I finally begin working part-time on Tuesday. I'm also in my last semester of my graduate program, so I'll be able to start applying to real librarian jobs soon. Hopefully there will be some jobs available.

I've begun a new hobby, one that I've meant to do for a while: cross stitching. I know it sounds old fashion and old lady-like, but I've been fascinated with samplers since I was little because my grandfather has two from the mid-1850s that were created by our family back in England. They would create a cross stitch with a poem when a family member would die, so each of the two commemorates some long-lost ancestor of mine. I'm starting small on the hobby. Here's my first project, which was a coaster kit my mom got me:



I like it! I'm working on another now, and I got some stuff so I can start making fancy bookmarks.

In other news, the winter here is very cold and snowy, but much less harsh than the winter in Chicago. It's snowing today, and I feel sad for the three feral cats I feed outside. They've managed to survive a three-day blizzard and negative 12 degree weather, so they're of hardy New England stock. One is missing an eye and I want it to get used to me so I can catch it and take it to a vet. Poor thing.

Here's a picture of the snow outside my apartment building, and one of the town square. I like the snow, but it's a pain to try to drive in it. I am honestly looking forward to spring because I think it will be beautiful.

No comments: